Individuals suffering from shortness of breath and fatigue should immediately consult the best pulmonologist in Karachi. The specialist will conduct relevant tests and provide treatment to prevent further damage hindering the functioning of the vital organ.
Interstitial Lung Disease and Its Symptoms
It is a condition in which lung functioning is hindered due to lung scarring and fibrosis. There is no permanent cure for interstitial lung disease; however, the treatment helps manage the symptoms and avoid further damage. Individuals exhibiting symptoms that correlate with interstitial lung disease should seek medical attention, or it can become the cause of death. The common symptoms of interstitial lung disease are:
- The patient experiences shortness of breath which hinders their overall functioning.
- The patient suffers from a dry cough, which worsens without treatment.
- The patient suffers from irrational loss of weight without dieting and exercising.
- The patient remains inactive due to fatigue.
- A delay in the treatment can lead to enlargement of the heart and related complications.
Known Causes of Interstitial Lung Disease
The known causes of interstitial lung disease include:
- Exposure to harsh chemicals, coal, and silica can affect the functioning of the lungs and cause ILD.
- Individuals who undergo chemotherapy are at a higher risk of suffering from multiple complications, including interstitial lung disease.
- Patients with heart disease and infections are at a high risk of suffering from interstitial lung disease.
- Individuals diagnosed with sarcoidosis, ant synthetase syndrome, and Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis should remain vigilant regarding their treatment and take proper medications to avoid complications such as ILD.
- Individuals who smoke are at a higher risk of suffering from psychological and physical illnesses such as ILD.
- People diagnosed with HIV should take precautionary measures to avoid complications such as ILD.
Complications Associated with Interstitial Lung Disease
The complications that correlate with interstitial lung disease are:
- The patients are more likely to suffer from cor pulmonale, which hinders overall bodily function.
- The patient is at a higher risk of hypoxemia. The low supply of oxygen increases the chances of stroke, which can be life-threatening.
- ILD can lead to pulmonary failure, which can become the cause of death.
The preventive measures that help minimize the occurrence of ILD and related complications are:
Individuals must get a vaccination against influenza and pneumococcal bacteria that can affect the functioning of the lungs and cause permanent damage.
Individuals working in polluted environments should wear protective gear to avoid lung-related diseases.
Individuals with other medical diseases should keep a check on their health to avoid ILD, which can lead to malfunctioning of the vital organs.
Tests to Diagnose Interstitial Lung Disease
- The tests that assist in diagnosing an individual with interstitial lung disease are:
- The blood testing help detect the presence of the infections, and tumor markers to confirm the disease.
- The lung biopsy helps detect the abnormality in the lungs and helps evaluate the severity of the condition by closely examining a small part of the organ.
- Bronchoscopy is a procedure in which a tube is inserted into the lungs to detect the abnormality that correlates with ILD.
- The imaging tests such as CT scans help detect the extent of the damage to the lungs.
Effective Treatment Options
The medications, therapies, and procedure that helps treat a patient with ILD are:
- The antibiotics help fight the infection that hinders the functioning of the lungs.
- Antifibrotic medications help reduce fibroblastic proliferation.
- The corticosteroids help reduce inflammation and enhance the functioning of the lungs.
- In severe cases, the patient might have to undergo lung transport given by a donor.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation therapy helps strengthen the lungs and enhances the ability to breathe.
Individuals diagnosed with ILD should visit a specialist at South City Hospital. The specialist will provide guidance regarding the most effective and latest treatment options that can enhance the functioning of the lungs and avoid further damage that can affect mental and physical health.